FROM THIS SOURCE:The General Joseph Hooker House(formerly the Vasquez House) located at 414 First Street East in El Paseo de Sonoma on the Plaza reopened in 2009 after restoration of the interior. The building will now serve as a museum of Sonoma history. Since the reopening , Hooker House has hosted more than 3000 visitors. Please come by.
Hours: Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays, 1-4 p.m.
The General Joseph Hooker House was built in the early 1850’s for General “Fighting Joe” Hooker of Civil War fame. Hooker sold the house originally located on First Street West, and the many acres of adjoining land to Catherine Vasquez and her husband, Pedro, with the deed registered in Catherine’s name. The Vasquez family occupied the house until 1901, and it is believed that at least two of their children were born in one of the upstairs bedrooms.
In 1973, the house was given to the League by the owners, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lynch of Sonoma. The Lynch Family founded the local newspaper, The Sonoma Index-Tribune. The house was moved to its present location which is owned by the owners of El Paseo.
Reconstruction of the house was undertaken by members of the League with donations of materials and labor from local residents and businessmen.
The Vasquez House was opened to the public in 1976 as the Vasquez House and in 2008 the house was renamed to honor the original owner, Joseph Hooker. It is now known as the General Joseph Hooker House