Happy belated birthday sweetie. You’re a big boy now.
Monthly Archives: September 2008
I really do want to update/write a post, but my head hurts like hell and my mocha freeze needs attention. Not to mention I have a ton of work to do. I am at work right now. In the meantime, let me bloghop some more to make my day.
Hope you all have a good work week. Can’t believe it’s the end of September already!!!!!
I have not yet seen a meme that I did not like. But I have just seen a meme that I truly loved. It’s about food. Yummy, isn’t it? What a way to start a new week and a new season. I swiped this from MamaBig Dog who found this from a British food blog.
Here is the concept of this meme: “Below is a list of 100 things that I think every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life. The list includes fine food, strange food, every day food and even some pretty bad food- but a good omnivore should really try it all. ”
The ones I have eaten are in bold print, and I am not going to cross out things I will never try because I want to try ‘em all.
2. Nettle tea
7. Cheese fondue
10. Baba ghanoush
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (mostly because of the cigar)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whiskey from a bottle worth L60/$120 or more.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
60. Carob chips
66. Frog’s legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears, or funnel cake
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
77. Hostess fruit pie
79. Lapsang souchong
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
85. Kobe beef
90. Criollo chocolate
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
99. Jamaican blue mountain coffee
My score is 59. Should have been 60 had it not for #72, where it asked for caviar and blini. I have had caviar but not blini, so I am not counting that score. But 59 is not bad, I thought. Anyone wants to try out this meme, it’s fun.
I was feeling lousy @ bedtime last night. Sore muscles and achy joints and coughing could only mean one thing. I was getting sick. Hubby who happens to be my personal private practitioner prescribed two aspirins and some sleep.
I woke up sore, but unwilling to call sick. So I got ready and left for work. Everyday I leave the house before hubby gets up. He called me from work to check up on moi. I sounded more worse than I actually felt, which also garnered stay-away-from-me looks from co-workers. After hearing my froggy voice, hubby advised me to take cough and flu medication from our pharmacy [I work in a hospital] or go home and lie in bed. I was already here at work so I said I’ll go to the pharmacy.
I left my office to get my cure-all remedy. I went to the cafeteria and go me some sugar free brownies.
I feel so much better now!
Actually, my attitude is so much better, but the voice still croaks, and the muscles still sore, and the joints are all achy still. Oh well. Any reason to get a dosage of brownies I will gladly do.
The second part of this rambling thoughts for the 100th post has been delayed, partly due to lack of time and lack of inspiration. But let me tackle this tast right now so I can finally get this post behind me and move on to more exciting topics, hopefully.
- Fringe does satisfy the needs of former X-files fanatics. Don’t love the female lead though. While every one knew the male lead as Pacey from Dawson’s Creek, I associate him more with his Mighty Ducks character.
- How long does a last-song syndrome last? My head is still humming with the titanic tune after watching Charice on O.
- Tina Fey rocked Sarah Palin impersonation. She’s the best.
- Halfway thru’ September already? Time to plan for the Holidays then.
- Cold nights are back—yahoo!!!!
- Oh another bank bites the dust!
- Sophia is like a living doll, my friend’s daughter who got baptized last Sunday.
- Another reason to celebrate Fall—Prison Break is back!
- Been subjecting hubs to too much tv. He got the characters from Grey’s Anatomy and House mixed up while watching the premier of House last night. Poor guy.
- Rat droppings have been spotted in offices next to mine. So far, mine is the only one safe. Keep it that way, Speedy Gonzalez.
- Haven’t been in a restaurant since my birthday in August, that’s one month. Too much tightening of the belt I say.
- Wonderful to see my girlfriends again, even tho’ two were not present, at little Sophia’s baptism. Again, we vowed to get together for eats or a walk in the park. Not gonna happen.
- The leaves are turning colors, this early!
- I am praying for rain around these parts. We have been parched for quite a long time.
- Too much devastation and destruction in the southern part of the country due to hurricane.
- Too much traffic lately—reminiscent of the dot com boom in the 90s.
- I am craving for pho right now—feeling fluish, weather has turned gray and cool.
- Thank God for hubs comprehensive vision plan.
- Am extremely ecstatic that my foray into the kitchen has yielded good tasty results.
- Mom told hubs that before I met him I never knew where the kitchen was—she was right.
- This is the best time to go to Costco—holiday goodies are out on display, yummy.
- Hubs made gravlax. Everyone who tasted it gave it a two thumbs up.
- You want to smile a little [or a lot]? Check this.
- I am dreaming of tinapa and garlic fried rice.
- There’s a lot of noise in the hallway—wonder what’s it all about?
- We’re having our first SALAD POTLUCK at work. I am bringing Garbanzo Salad.
- Oh I also am craving for a little couscous and beer roasted chicken.
- I should start reading again — and not those with half naked man and woman in compromising position on the cover.
- Hump day today. Hope the week goes smoothly from now on.
- Question: Tony Bourdain has been to Japan a number of times, why hasn’t he dined at the original Iron Chefs restaurtants, not including that segment with Morimoto?
- I armchair travel with Ferdz.
- I am getting forgetful in my old age :=)
- I discovered many neighborhoods in the town where I have been living for the last 15 years while house hunting.
- Oh Napa, I hear you call my name. Memo to self: Must go to Napa, ASAP.
- I love Brazilian amethyst.
- And Mozambique garnet.
- And Burmese ruby.
- Yeah, I’ve gone back to watching jewerly tv and QVC. Not shopping though.
- Checked with my retirement fund—I need to increase my contributions, now.
- A niece and a nephew share the same birthday, Sept 26. They are second cousins. Their parents [moms are cousins] also share the same wedding day, June 10, or is it 11. Nice coincidence.
- I prefer the cruchy variety to the smooth variety of peanut butter.
- I have never had nutella. Want some.
- I can not remember/memorize my own cell phone number nor my hubs.
- My niece makes wonderful home-made soaps which she distributes on Christmas and special occasions.
- I feed blue jays, sparrows, and other birds in the backyard. This week mom said the wild turkeys have come for the feast. Yay wild turkey for thanksgiving.
- In a ten-mile radius, there are about 5 Walgreens. Yay???
- In the same ten-mile radius, there are 3 Starbucks. Who said Starbucks is everywhere?
- On Sunday, 9/14/08, it was reported that it was the first time in many years when all of the four Bay Area teams won their matches: Niners, Raiders, Giants, and A’s.
- Can’t wait for figure skating to open their season.
- Finally, got to the 100th bullet.
Since this happens to be my 100th post, something that I had never imagined when I started this blog, I thought I’d do some bullet points again. Just random thoughts about anything under the sun.
- I cooked ginisang opo [sauteed opo squash] for the first time in my entire life and hubs loved it. Scooooore!
- While eating dinner last night, hubs asked where was the olive in our food. I told him we were eating chicken afritada and not kalderata. He said so that’s the difference between those two dishes, one has olives, and the other one doesn’t.
- Don’t believe a child who boldly declares, NAPS ARE RARE with him because within the next breath he’d be far into dreamland.
- Ever had iced coffee from Micky D? Neither have I, all I got was cream and ice. WHERE’S THE COFFEE?
- The leaves have turned brown and fell onto the ground and I just noticed it yesterday.
- Hurray, BevMo has that 5c sale again.
- Went to four places to get dust pan with handle last weekend, none carry them. What happened?
- My little nephews all four of them have a YouTube account and I just visited their site. Calling their moms, see what your kids are posting online.
- I hardly have time to visit my Friendster page.
- Ever been here, it’s a fun read.
- Here too.
- Boy am I glad that the marine layer is back. A week of 90-degree temps is enough to last me a whole summer.
- I like Katherine Heigl as a movie star, imagine that.
- I missed the yoyo competition at the Exploratorium last week, tsk.
- And the Ethiopian Festival at Lake Merritt.
- I better not miss the Chocolate Festival.
- And the Solano Stroll.
- I am listening to TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART right now, blast from the past.
- Is September the season for babies? All the inserts, fliers, and ads from Sunday papers have baby stuff sale.
- Attended one baby shower from work on Friday.
- Will attend christening on Sunday.
- Yeah, there must be baby boom.
- I finally found my fave deli meat—Sopressata!
- Two summers in a row, we had tomatoes from the garden.
- I love Kid Rock’s song ALL SUMMER LONG. Reminds me of John Mellencamp sound.
- And Nickleback’s ROCK STAR, love it love it love it.
- I am starting to like Leo di Caprio, help.
- Had the misfortune of answering the phone when someone from a credit card company was calling. She’s asking why I wasn’t using my card and what do they need to do to make them my primary card. I told them to give me a low single digit interest and if they’re ready to do that to call me again.
- I realized that in real life I know more REBECCAs than any other name.
- I missed doing my cross stitch projects.
- And my scrapbooking too.
- I never had that dream where I was out in the streets naked, but I did have one just recently where I was almost topless. Yiiikes.
- Not really a Sex and the City fan, but I thought that Samantha and Smith are cute together.
- I need to rent the first season [and probably the second too] of MY BOYS. I constantly forget what day/time it’s on.
- Excited about the 4th season of PRISON BREAK? I dont know. Gimme a couple more episodes to feel how this season’s going to fare.
- My soul could use another trip to MENDOCINO. It’s been awhile.
- Still debating whether to open a Multiply account. BFF has one and wont get Friendster. I have the former and she’s begging me to join Multiply.
- When is the new David Cook song going to come out?
- I’d rather email than call.
- Massages must be considered basic needs.
- Pinot Grigio is my fave wine.
- Oh I like Merlot too.
- I miss receiving catalogs [junk] from mail.
- Santa Fe is one of my dream destinations; the list keeps growing.
- My pet peeve? Dogs in sweaters/hoods/hoodies.
- I very recently lost a long-time pet fish TUCKER.
- Another fish is showing signs of sickness, oh no.
- I love taking pictures of the cloudscapes/skyscapes.
- And I have reached the middle ground. Will continue this post.
With the arrival of autumn just around the bend, the summer holidays have seen their end. Most people take their holidays during the long summer break in order to spend time with their school kids. I have not particularly liked going out in the summertime. One reason, the weather. Heat bothers me a lot. It irritates me. Not fun for me at all. Another reason is that most spots from national parks to theme parks, from beaches to local fishing holes are jampacked. And I hate crowded places that’s why I seldom go to the malls.
When the crowds had thinned out and the days had gone cooler, I go. My favorite time to go away is just after the New Year. Most places offer discounted rates for off season travels. Cruises have good deals at this time. But since there is nothing in the near horizon for me to look forward to and I sit here working my butt off (how could that be if I’m blogging), I’d give in to the call of daydreaming. And because I have not done a six pack post in a long while, I would like to list my desired destinations. Here they are in no particular order:
3. Galapagos Island
4. Arches National Park
6. Yellowstone National Park
What about you? Do you have a dream destination? I love the outdoors, nature, and photography. I think all these destinations suit me just fine.